Newell Richardson

Newell Kay Richardson

Thursday, August 8th, 1929 - Tuesday, July 16th, 2019
Recommend this to your friends.
Share via:

Sign in to the Family Interactive Login

The Family Interactive feature enhances An Amazing Life. Authorized family members can securely access their loved one's memorial website settings at any time.

Share Book of Memories with a Friend

Please enter the name and email details so that we can send your friend a link to the online tribute. No names or addresses will be collected by using this service.

Email Sent

Your email has been sent.

To share your memory on the wall of Newell Richardson, sign in using one of the following options:

Sign in with Facebook


Sign in with your email address

Your condolence has been posted successfully

Provide comfort for the family by sending flowers or planting a tree in memory of Newell Richardson

No Thanks

Contact Funeral Home

Please enter your question or comment below:

Email Sent

Your email has been sent.

Newell's Tribute Fund

  •  Full Name
  •  Initials
  •  Anonymous
By continuing, you agree with the terms and privacy policy.

Newell's Tribute Fund

There may be a delay while processing. Please do not click the back button or refresh while a payment is processing.
Send Flowers
Guaranteed hand delivery by a local florist


Newell Kay Richardson, a loving, wise and faithful husband, father and grandfather passed from this existence on July 16, 2019 in Spanish Fork, Utah, where he had lived with his wife for two years.

Newell Kay was born in his grandmother’s home in Thatcher Arizona, the seventh of what would be eight children. The family lived on a dry, dusty ranch that seldom produced enough for them to live on. While the economics were meager, the love, faith, and resilience of the family were great and produced singularly outstanding children.

There were at least three times, according the Newell Kay himself, that his life was miraculously spared. The first occurred when he was not even two years old and he fell from the seat of a farm implement called a disc. He was pinned to the ground by the sharp blade which was poised to travel over his body and head as the horses pulled forward. Instead, they stopped for no reason and Newell was left with an injury behind his right knee and a scar he carried throughout his life. The second time happened shortly after high school, when Newell Kay and his father were in Mexico. They were riding mules; Newell Kay was riding one and leading a second by a rope. He got off his mule on the wrong side which spooked both animals and they took off at a dead run. A rope wrapped around Newell Kay’s ankle and he was dragged. It looked like sure disaster but again – for some unknown reason - the two mules ran in opposite directions, the rope snapped and Newell Kay had a nasty rope burn but was thankful that he wasn’t dragged to his death. The third occurrence was after his return home from his mission. He was helping his older brother, Rene’, dig a well. Newell Kay was seventeen feet down a four foot diameter hole. Sixty pounds of dirt were being lifted out in a metal can one at a time with a heavy metal pulley and wood system to dig the hole deeper and deeper. Suddenly, the wood snapped and everything came crashing straight down. Newell Kay was sure that in each case, his life was spared only due to divine intervention.

The fire of testimony burned bright from his pioneer forebears, and his reverence and respect for those courageous progenitors lit a path for his life of valiant service, constant faith, and conscientious integrity of heart.

His mother taught him to read before entering school, and when his two older sisters went with him to enroll him; they entered him into second grade. This put the smallish Newell Kay at a social disadvantage. He went to school barefoot many times, without a lunch, and without much interpersonal confidence. But his favorite fourth grade teacher sensed his abilities and awarded him a new pocketknife for winning the class spelling bee. Newell Kay was so shy that he turned his back towards the class and hold the knife over his shoulder for the students to admire.

However, Newell had a sufficient amount of personal confidence that, as a fifth grader, he bought a baby pig with a hernia, convinced his older sister to purchase chloroform so he could perform his first surgery. The procedure was a success until the pig later over ate and died.

He became discouraged with school in the in 9th grade, being a year younger and a foot shorter than his peers, and dropped out of school. His mother, who was a school teacher, was much distressed but Newell Kay promised to return to school on time the following year. Years later, he was known to give encouragement to any student who was discouraged by telling them that he had gone on to school for another 14 years to become a medical doctor.

It was in his third year of high school the he decided to become a doctor. Newell Kay had injured his leg to the point that it was put in a cast to heal and when he saw the x-ray of his ankle and later heard a radio report of the University of Utah starting a medical school, he became inspired to finish high school, college, and become a physician.

He attended Gila Junior College before serving his mission to the Eastern States U.S. (New York, Pennsylvania and environs) from 1949-1951. He remembers wearing a heavy wool suit in the humid summer, carrying pamphlets in his hands that became damp with the sweat running down his arms, and his embarrassment at offering these pamphlets to strangers.

After his mission, he attended Brigham Young University where he soon met the lovely and talented coed Illa Mae Cook and fell deeply in love. After an engagement of 2 years, and graduation from the BYU in Zoology, they were married in the Idaho Falls Temple on July 28, 1953.

Their first son, Scott was born 9 months later and then it appeared that disaster struck the young family. Unexpectedly, Newell Kay was drafted into the U.S. Army and sent away from his wife and son. They were stationed in San Antonio, Texas, where their daughter, Annette was born. But the military services granted Newell Kay the benefits of the G.I.bill which enabled him to pay for much of his higher education.

A physician friend encouraged him to apply for medical school at Wayne State University in Detroit Michigan, and without previously having been accepted, Newell Kay moved his little family there to receive his medical training. Wherever Newell Kay worked or served or learned as a student, he was recognized by his peers as having outstanding abilities.

But more than his professional abilities, Newell Kay’s abilities with people were legendary.

He graduated as the student body president of his medical school and served on the High Council with George Romney, a former governor of Michigan, and later was a member of the Stake Presidency. Three more children were added to their quiver – Mark and Joan and Joel.

He completed a residency in radiology and became a fully licensed physician at age 38 after 12 years of advanced education, 2 years as a missionary, and 2 years as a soldier. In the first two weeks of his practice, one of his patients was a 38 year old navy sailor who bragged that he had just retired from 20 years in the service. Newell Kay was a bit amazed at the contrast in life events!

Dallin, the last of the Richardson’s six children, was welcomed to the family in Tucson, Arizona. Newell Kay practiced in radiology in Tucson for 10 years, teaching classes at the University of Arizona medical school and serving as the president of the Pima County Medical association. He also served as a Bishop of a University Ward for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. One of the humorous moments was when he was encouraging the elders in the quorum to date young ladies who may not be the most attractive, because “Beauty is only skin deep.” One of the young elders exclaimed, “Yes, Bishop, but ‘ugly’ is CLEAR TO THE BONE!”

He and Illa Mae were interested in moving closer to her family in Idaho, and an offer to join a radiology group there opened the way to move to Idaho Falls. Within 2 months of arriving, Newell Kay was amazed that the Saints were fasting that “the rain would stop”--- an anomaly that a boy from the desert had difficulty grasping! Shortly after, he was called as the Bishop of their ward, and shortly after that was called as the first counselor in the Stake Presidency. He served on the Bonneville School district School Board and was instrumental in solving some difficult issues. He was later called by Elder Bruce R. McConkie to serve as the Stake President of the Ammon West Stake.

Newell Kay always enjoyed working on his 10-acre farm, even while working full-time as a physician. When his younger sons were home, he worked with them to plant the adjoining small acreage in wheat, promising to share the profit with them for their mission funds in return for their physical labor. There were many early mornings for father and sons to move pipe to irrigate the wheat. After the wheat was harvested and the sons paid, someone observed, “Newell, you lost money on that deal. You would have been better off just to have left that ground fallow.” Newell reportedly said, “I’m not raising wheat, I’m raising sons.” Newell engaged in diligent physical labor and creative problem-solving with tools and machines most of his life.

He moved his practice to Rexburg at Madison Memorial Hospital where he was the only radiologist and greatly loved by all the patients, employees and physicians and became the Chief of Staff there. He was called as a Regional Representative and served the stake presidents in the region as a source of wisdom and knowledge.

As a result of a call to serve a mission in 1997, Newell Kay retired from his beloved practice of medicine, and served as the mission physician in the Chilean mission in South American with his wife at his side. He was credited with saving the life of one missionary in a dramatic turn of events that required sound judgment, medical expertise, and most importantly the inspiration of the Holy Spirit.

After serving faithfully, the couple returned home to Idaho Falls where they were called to serve as the President and Matron of the temple there after serving in a preceding presidency for a number of years.

He and Illa Mae moved to Spanish Fork, Utah, to be near family members, and they enjoyed their ward who embraced the Richardson’s with great love and appreciation. Newell Kay succumbed to cancer after a lingering condition of approximately 12 years. He passed easily and peacefully surrounded by loved ones, and surely was received on the other side of the veil by many he had “loved long since, and lost awhile. ”

A viewing will occur from 5 – 7 p.m. Friday, July 26th at the Spanish Fork 9th Ward located at 928 Del Monte Road, Spanish Fork, Utah. Funeral services will be held at noon Saturday, July 27th at the Stanfield Ward chapel, 1925 E. 49th South, Idaho Falls with a viewing starting at 10:30 a.m. prior to the services. Interment will be in the Goshen Cemetery in Goshen, Idaho. lieu of flowers, please consider a donation in Newell Kay’s name to the LDS humanitarian fund. Condolences can be offered at

Memorial Video
Read Less

To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Newell Kay Richardson, please visit our Heartfelt Sympathies Store.

Sign Up for Notifications

Receive notifications about information and event scheduling for Newell

Service Details

  • Visitation

    Friday, July 26th, 2019 | 5:00pm - 7:00pm
    Friday, July 26th, 2019 5:00pm - 7:00pm
    Spanish Fork 9th Ward LDS Chapel
    928 Del Monte Road
    Spanish Fork, Utah 84660
    Get Directions: View Map | Text | Email
  • Second Visitation

    Saturday, July 27th, 2019 | 10:30am - 11:30am
    Saturday, July 27th, 2019 10:30am - 11:30am
    Stanfield Ward Chapel
    1925 East 49th South
    Idaho Falls, Idaho 83404
    Get Directions: View Map | Text | Email
  • Service

    Saturday, July 27th, 2019 | 12:00pm
    Saturday, July 27th, 2019 12:00pm
    Stanfield Ward Chapel
    1925 East 49th South
    Idaho Falls, Idaho 83404
    Get Directions: View Map | Text | Email
  • Interment

    Saturday, July 27th, 2019 | 1:30pm
    Saturday, July 27th, 2019 1:30pm
    Goshen Cemetery
    1122 East 800 North
    Shelley, Idaho 83274
    Get Directions: View Map | Text | Email


We encourage you to share your most beloved memories of Newell here, so that the family and other loved ones can always see it. You can upload cherished photographs, or share your favorite stories, and can even comment on those shared by others.

No video recorded.

Private Condolence
Tim and Kelly Johnson and The Verint Mid-Market Team sent flowers to the family of Newell Kay Richardson.
Guaranteed hand delivery by a local florist

Rex Williams

Posted at 12:01pm
I have never shared this previously.

When Elder Bruce R. McConkie visited our stake to select a new stake president, he interviewed over 20 stake and ward leaders in order to find the person who would become our next stake president. I was one of those he interviewed. He asked me for the names of two people who I thought could serve as stake president. I could only think of one, Newell K. Richardson. Elder McConkie pressed me for a second name but my mind went blank. There was only one person, in my mind, who could serve. It became a bit awkward as Elder McConkie continued to pressed me for a second name. I finally said that he might choose from one of our bishops and reluctantly suggested one of them. I ended the conversation by again recommending President Richardson. I was delighted when Elder McConkie opened the office door and asked me to get President Richardson on the phone and have him come back for a second interview. I knew at that point who our new stake president would be. The following 9 years in serving as his executive secretary has been one of the great highlights of my life.

Rex Williams

Dan Freckleton

Posted at 10:59am
We were so sorry to hear about Newell’s passing. We are sorry that we couldn’t make the viewing or the funeral, it was our Saturday to serve at the temple or we would have come. He meant a lot to our family. When I told our kids about his passing they all commented that he was such a nice man. He was the first person that we met when we moved here. He came to visit us because he was the bishop of the ward we were in, but 3 weeks later we were moved to another ward, but he remained a good friend, especially to Dan. Dan thought the world of him. He will be missed! Thinking of you Ila May with love!
Love, Dan & Lawrene Freckleton & Family

Darwin and Julie

Posted at 07:06pm
Illa Mae, Julie and I are so saddened by the news of Newell Kay's passing. Julie and I have so many memories of the two of you over the years. It was a real treat to have you come for lessons, and then there were the lunches at Applebees and always warm conversations. Please know that we love both of you and wish these didn't come into our lives, but as members of the Church we know and understand the play of happiness. Darwin and Julie Wolford

Donna Bradshaw

Posted at 10:44am
Words cannot express all that I feel for Newell Kay Richardson my Uncle! He was an amazing man whom the whole family looked up to. He was kind and generous to everyone. If we could fill the world with men like Newell Kay, our problems would mostly go away!
Heaven has rejoiced with his return to family and friends on the other side. We will miss him very much. Love Donna Powell Bradshaw

Tim and Kelly Johnson

Posted at 05:51pm
With heartfelt condolences,
Flower Image

Tim and Kelly Johnson purchased the Medium Dish Garden for the family of Newell Richardson. Send Flowers


Photos & Videos

Photo Album

Upload up to 10 images at a time, max 8MB each
Share by: